Perhaps in a search for some kind of perspective on the writing process, or more likely just as procrastination, I Googled the phrase “writing a novel is like” to see what came up. Here are a few of the results.
Writing a novel is like…
- running a marathon or engaging in a protracted battle.
- a marriage.
- a long, rich marriage.
- being married to a woman you're not too happy with. (Norman Mailer)
- driving a car at night. You never see further than your own headlights but you can make the whole trip that way. (E.L. Doctorow)
- diving into the deep end.
- being pregnant.
- giving birth to a child.
- being Bugs Bunny running off a cliff.
- taking a journey by boat.
- setting out on a vast, uncharted ocean.
- wading out to sea to drown. (Anne Beattie)
- any other job.
- a one-armed man trying to nail together a chicken coop in a hurricane. (Faulkner)
- playing ODIs???????